- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
- Category: Asian
- Cuisine: Thai
Yield: 4 servings
6 oz. Pad Thai noodles
1 cup bean sprouts
3 large eggs
3 tablespoons grapeseed or canola oil
1 shallot, julienne
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz. shrimp, peeled and deveined
For the Sauce:
3 oz (6 Tablespoons) fish sauce
3 oz. (6 Tablespoons) brown sugar
3 oz. (6 Tablespoons) hot water
4 Tablespoons Tamarind Paste
1 Fresno chili or jalapeno, minced
1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup peanuts, crushed, roasted, and salted
- Mix together all the ingredients for the sauce and set aside. Prepare the garnishes, and set aside for later use.
- Heat a no stick skillet over medium heat, crack eggs into a bowl, add a pinch of salt and pepper, and whisk with a fork. Working in. batches, add egg to a hot skillet, swirl around in skillet until a thin layer of cooked egg in the skillet forms; pour the residual uncooked egg left on the top back into the bowl with the rest of the egg. With a spatula, flip the cooked egg onto a cutting board, roll, and cut into thin strips. Set aside. Repeat until the remainder of the egg is cooked.
- Place shrimp into a pot and over with 8 cups of cold water. Turn the burner on high and leave the pot uncovered. Bring the water up to almost a boil; as the water comes up to temperature, so is the shrimp. At the sign of the first few bubbles, remove the shrimp from the pot with a slotted spoon. (The shrimp should be pink all the way through, if not allow them to cook for a few more seconds.) Run the shrimp under cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Using the remaining shrimp water, bring back to a boil and add the Pad Thai noodles: follow instructions on the package. Once cooked, drain into a colander. Toss with a few tablespoons of oil to prevent from sticking.
- Heat a large skillet or wok on medium-high heat, add the oil, garlic, and shallots; saute until shallots are translucent. Add the shrimp, bean sprouts, noodles, and sauce and cook until sauce starts to bubble. Toss with the cooked egg. Place into bowls and garnish.
Keywords: Rice noodles, vegetarian, shrimp, saute