Julia Childs’ Chicken Breasts in Mushroom Cream Sauce
- 4 chicken breasts (boneless/skinless)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- pinch of white pepper
- 10 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 lb button white mushrooms, sliced
- 4 Tablespoons shallots or onions, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chicken or beef stock
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth
- 2 cups of whipping cream
- salt/pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Rub the chicken breasts with drops of lemon juice and season with salt and white pepper.
- Heat the butter in a heavy, oven-proof casserole until it is foaming. Stir in the minced shallots or onion and saute for a minute – do not wait to brown. Stir in the mushrooms and saute lightly for 1-2 minutes – do not wait to brown. Sprinkle with salt.
- Quickly flip the chicken breasts in the butter mixture. Cover and cook over medium high heat for 8-10 minutes. After that time, flip chicken breasts and cook on opposite side for another 8-10 minutes until chicken temperature reaches at least 165 degrees.
- Remove the chicken to a warm plate (leave mushrooms/onions in the pot) and cover while making the sauce.
To make sauce:
- Pour the chicken/beef stock and vermouth in with the cooking butter and mushrooms/onions. Over medium high heat, boil down quickly until liquid is syrupy.
- Stir in cream and boil down again over medium high heat until cream has thickened slightly. Off heat, taste for seasoning, and add drops of lemon juice to taste.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken, sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately