Cranberry Gastrique Sauce
- Yield: ~ 1 cup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dry red wine, such as cabernet
- 1/3 cup fresh cranberries
- 2 sprigs thyme
- Salt and black pepper
- Combine sugar, water and cranberries in small heavy-bottomed saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat until sugar is dissolved and cranberries start to soften. Continue to cook for about 8 minutes, swirling gently to help mixture cook evenly.
- Add red wine vinegar all at once (mixture will boil very rapidly). Continue to cook until sugar is re-dissolved, about 3 minutes.
- Add wine to pan and reduce until slightly syrupy, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the thyme and cook until cranberries have broken down slightly and mixture is dark red with the texture of light maple syrup. If you want a smooth sauce you can strain it though a fine mesh sieve. Otherwise remove from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.