- Yield: 4 1x
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts pounded to even 1/4-1/2 inch thickness
- 4 slices ham
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk or water
- 1/3 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs (or regular breadcrumbs + 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese see note
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese salt and pepper to taste
Prepare the chicken
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, stir together parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs. Set aside. In a second, small bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Set aside.
- Lay pounded chicken breasts out on a flat, clean surface. Top each with a slice of ham and then a slice of swiss cheese.
- Roll into a bundle starting with one of the longer sides and rolling toward the opposite side. Secure with toothpicks. Dip chicken bundles in the egg mixture, coating all sides, then carefully roll in breadcrumbs to coat.
- Melt butter in an oven-safe skillet over medium high heat. (See note if you don’t have an oven-safe skillet) Brown chicken for 2-3 minutes on each side until browned all over.
- Transfer skillet to preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
Prepare the sauce
- While chicken is cooking begin preparing the sauce by melting butter in a medium sauce pan.
- Stir in flour until mixture clumps together. Gradually whisk in milk, working out the lumps as you stir. Stir in dijon mustard, garlic powder, parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper to taste.
- When chicken bundles are fully cooked, cut into 1-inch sections, drizzle with the sauce and serve immediately.